Peer Support Specialist
Anka is seeking reliable and dedicated PEER SUPPORT SPECIALIST for our Rancho West CRT Program in Riverside, CA.
ABOUT THE POSITIONS: Under the supervision of the Team Lead, work as a member of a team to provide mental health peer support services to individuals and family/support members of individuals with mental health and co-occurring disorders in an Adult Residential Treatment (ART) facility. Peer Support Specialists have either lived experience in mental health recovery and/or substance use recovery. They serve as role models, companions, educators, and advocates to clients with mental health needs. Although not professional counselors, Peer Support Specialists are treatment team members and trained in basic counseling skills and understand living with someone with a disability, having "been there." Peer Support Specialists support consumers and their family/support members in moving toward recovery, creating a meaningful role in their life, which is separate from their illness. They should be willing to share their experience, model effective coping techniques and self-help strategies, and support and advocate for clients. Peer Certification is required within first three months of hire. Certification training will be arranged/provided.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES. Under the Supervision of our Program Administrator:
- Coordinate and monitor treatment plans for the clients, which can include intake, assessment and discharge planning
- Assist with activities involving rehabilitation and therapy.
- Be responsible for administrative tasks, such as progress notes and other client and program information like Medi-Cal billing
- Supervise and escort clients to medical and dental appointments, community outings, and other activities.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Support clients and their family/support members in articulating their goals for recovery and help with treatment and recovery planning.
- Support and promote a recovery focused environment. Use experiences with personal recovery to offer hope, encouragement and reassurance to the people served within the program.
- Support clients in learning and practicing new skills (cooking, cleaning, journaling, pursuing new and old hobbies, etc.)
- Monitor client progress and document interactions in electronic health record.
- Participate as assigned in clinical and staff meetings, and serve on other organizational committees as appropriate.
- Support client treatment goals and model effective coping techniques and self-help strategies and support them in advocating for themselves to obtain services.
- Work with program leadership to implement programmatic changes by utilizing evidence based practices (ex. Trauma Informed Care) to improve the quality of services and outcomes.
- Lived experience in mental health recovery and/or substance use recovery and the ability to meet the essential requirements of the job. Bi-cultural/ bi-lingual experience is an asset.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary education in social work or related field preferred.
- Must have valid California Driver's License; good driving record. Proof of current auto insurance and must meet insurability requirements of Anka insurance carrier. Must be able to pass a pre-employment background screening including TB testing and obtain FBI/DOJ fingerprint clearance.
- Possess a caring and positive attitude and a desire to help people.
BenefitsWe value our employees and offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, dental, vision
- 11 days paid time off for holidays and generous vacation plan
- Employer paid life insurance plan, LTD and ADD.
- Matching 401k
- Flexible Spending Accounts for healthcare, child care and
ABOUT ANKA: Work for an organization where every day is an opportunity to change lives! Anka Behavioral Health, Inc. (Anka) is a non-profit organization with the mission to eliminate the impact of behavioral health problems for all people. Please visit our website at http://www.ankabhi.org for more information. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.